Road Trips: Basic Vehicle Preparation Before Hitting the RoadHelpful Information , Inverter Generators
ROAD TRIP PREPARATION & ESSENTIALS
You have made the reservations, you have packed your gear and you can’t wait to get away from it all!
Indeed, it seems like you are ready for a road trip!
However, before you get ahead of yourself, make sure your vehicle is as ready for the journey as you are.
Get your vehicle preparation off to a good start by keeping the following basics in mind:
- Considered any vehicle’s last line of defense, brakes need to be in tiptop shape at all times. As a general rule of thumb, consider thorough, everyday inspection of the brakes a must before you drive. This is especially crucial if you are going on a long trip. This is important for your road trip preparation.
- In addition, if you notice that your brake pedal is softer than usual, consider it a likely sign of deterioration. Checking on it right away is deemed mandatory.
- While complementing your tires with those envy-worthy 4×4 rims will dramatically add to its visual appeal, keep in mind that tires do more than just make your vehicle stand out. To begin with, your tires are what ties your vehicle to the road. As such, it is vital that you make sure they are always suited for adequate traction.
- Tire pressure is something you also have to look out for. At all times, ensure your tires are not too inflated as this can trigger a blowout. As an added precaution, always keep an extra tire just in case.
- Driving safely is not exactly rocket science. However, it entails a certain level of concentration as it entails keeping an eye on any oncoming obstacles. Make the whole process effortless by ensuring your mirrors are angled correctly and your windows are kept clean at all times. Also, install brand-new wiper blades whenever you deem fit.
- As an additional safety measure, make it a habit to regularly check for any windshield cracks. Also, include checking the defrost function in your routine inspections as this will help guarantee visibility will not be compromised.
- Prior to leaving for a long trip, make sure the blinkers, interior lighting and headlights of your vehicle are working properly. Malfunctioning lighting can be very dangerous as it will make gauging the distance between you and the other vehicles very challenging.
- In addition, if you drive with defective lights, you will not only put your safety in jeopardy, but you also risk getting pulled over and given a ticket. Keep in mind that your road trip preparation can save you from accidents.
Other essential equipment for road trips, particualrly for heading into remote areas:
- GPS/Mobile Sattelite coverage/UHF Radio & Communication
- Long range fuel tanks (custom fit) or Jerry can for spare fuel
- Water bladder / Water tanks for drinking water
- Portable power: battery packs charged by either solar set up or portable generator
- First aid kit
- Tool kit, tyre repair kit and air compressor
Roadtrips often promise exceptional fun and relaxation. Prepare your vehicle for the long trip accordingly and you can look forward to arriving to and from your destination, safe, in one piece and with nothing but exceptional memories to remember your trip by.